- 7 small Aubergines
- 10-12 small Potatoes
- 6-7 Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 Yam, Peeled and cut into pieces
- 6 Raw Bananas, Peeled and sliced
- 1 cup Oil
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder, (filling)
- 4 tbsp Green chilli paste, (filling)
- 3 tbsp Coriander-cumin Powder, (filling)
- 1 tbsp Asafoetida Powder, (filling)
- 1-2 tbsp Castor Sugar, (filling)
- 2 tsp Salt, (filling)
- 1 Fresh coconut, (filling)
- 300 gms Finely chopped coriander, (filling)
- 1/2 cup Oil, (tempering)
- 1 tsp Asafoetida Powder, (tempering)
- Cut aubergines and potatoes across into three-quarters of the way up.
- Combine all the filling ingredients with your hand and stuff into aubergines and potatoes
- Pour oil in a large pot. Place a layer of each vegetable starting with potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam and aubergines.
- Sprinkle in any leftover filling.
- Heat oil for tempering in a small pan and sprinkle in asafetida. Let it sizzle for 30 seconds and pour into pot.
- Cover pot with a lid, pour some water in the lid and cook on very low heat.
- Halfway through cooking, after about 20 minutes, stir gently.
- Let vegetables cook in the steam for at least 20 more minutes. Serve hot.